Can you change the name on my deed?
No. In order to change the name on your deed, a new deed must be prepared.  The Recorder of Deeds Office is unable to provide legal advice or opinions and we do not have blank forms.  Additionally, paperwork must be fully completed and notarized before bringing it to our office to record.
Where do I go to have a deed or other document prepared?
We strongly recommend going to a title company or a real estate attorney to have a deed prepared.  However blank forms can be found online and at office supply stores.  The document must be prepared and notarized before bringing it to our office to record.  The Recorder of Deeds Office cannot assist you in completing this document.
What form of payment do you accept to record my document?
We accept cash, check and money order for recording.  The basic recording fee is $39.25 for the 1st four pages and $1.00 for each additional page.   However, recording fees may vary, please see “Recording Fee Schedule” for a detailed list of recording fees. 
Can you tell me if my house is free of liens?
No. To insure that a property is free of liens a title company must be contacted.  They will be able to do a full title search on the real estate and issue a title insurance policy or a letter report.
How do I obtain a lien pay off amount?
In order to obtain a lien pay off amount you must contact the lien holder.  We do not have pay off amounts.
Do I get my original deed back from you when I pay off my mortgage?
No. The mortgage company, bank or Recorder of Deeds does not hold the original deed until the mortgage is paid off.  The original deed is recorded in our office and returned to the name and address indicated on the document the following business day.  If you cannot find your original deed we can provide you with a copy free of charge.
When I record a document can I take the original back with me that day?
No. However we are more than happy to provide you with a recorded copy to take with you.  You may pick up your original document the following business day after 10:00 AM or we can mail it to you.
Can I have any document put on record?
We can record almost anything.  However not everything should be recorded.  Please keep in mind when presenting a document for recording that it will become almost immediately available for public inspection in our office and online.  The only documents in our office that are not available for public inspection are military discharge documents.  Additionally please keep in mind that recording a document does not make it legal or binding.  If you have any questions regarding the legality of a document you need to seek the advice of an attorney. 
Do you report recorded documents to the credit bureaus?
No. The Recorder of Deeds does not at any time report anything to any of the 3 credit bureaus.  Credit bureaus hire independent searchers and third party providers to gather data from public records.
How do I find out if there are any easements on my property?
Review your deed; some easements will be referred to in the legal description on your deed.  Look at your subdivision plat; if the subdivision is not too old some easements may be shown on the plat.  Call the utility company; they may come out and mark their easements for you.  Contact a title company or an independent searcher to perform a search for easements.  They charge a fee but will provide you with a comprehensive report. 
Can you tell me how old my house is?
No. You can contact the assessor’s office and they can provide you with the year the property was first assessed with a house on it. 
How can I find out what property my family owned in St. Clair County?
The documents contained in our office date back as far as the 1790’s.  Although the Recorder of Deeds Office cannot do genealogy research for you, we do encourage you to visit our office and research your family name within our indexes.  Our knowledgeable and friendly customer service staff will point you in the right direction to get you started.  Our documents are open for public inspection 8:30 AM – 5:00 PM, Monday thru Friday. 
Can you read my legal description to me over the phone?
No, you must acquire a copy of your deed in order to obtain the legal description.
How do I locate my lot size ?
Lot size cannot be given over the phone.  If your lot is located in a newer subdivision you may want to take a look at your subdivision plat.  You can also view the St Clair County Parcel map from the Assessor Parcel Inquiry at  If you have any questions in regards to property lines, you may need to seek the advice of a professional surveyor. 
Can you tell me where the boundary lines of my property are?
No, we can provide you with a copy of your deed and subdivision plat free of charge.  Additional assistance can be provided by a professional land surveyor.